Bognor Regis Pier is one of the most loved buildings within the town. Sitting on the Esplanade the first structure was built in May 1865. The building cost just £5000. A kiosk was built at the shore and visitors where charged one old penny for those wanting to walk the length of the pier.
In 1876 the Pier was sold to the council for £1200 the new owners added a small bandstand. In July 1900 a pavilion was added part way down the pier.
In 1901 a landing stage allowed for paddle steamers to tie up at the pier, but this was short lived and in 1906 it became redundant as ships grew too large.
Ongoing repairs and maintenance became a problem for the council and the pier was sold on to private investors for 10s 6d. The pavilion was closed whilst major restoration was undertaken and re-opened in 1909.
Over the following years, Bognor Regis’s first cinema was added to the shore end of the pier, along with a theatre, a roof garden restaurant and a few shops.
In 1989 the pier was awarded Grade 11 listed status by the English Heritage Society but by 1994 it was in such decline that an application was made to demolish part of the structure.
The Pier is now owned by Bognor Pier Leisure Ltd and hosts a nightclub, ice cream parlour, an arcade and a fish and chip shop.
For more information on the History of Bognor Pier visit The Pier Trust.
Promote your business with us. Enquire to see how we can help.